VAFW seeks and supports a community of up-and-coming talent in the field of fashion design.
The mission of the VAFW's Designer Showcase is to offer a platform for emerging designers living in Virginia
and surrounding areas to showcase their talent on the runway at VA Fashion Week and gain the attention of national press and regional buyers.
In our 2018 shows we will be showing new collections from emerging designers as well as offering all guests and participants the opportunity to shop the runway, with garments shown on the runway as well as other offerings from participating designers and vendors being offered for sale at our after party.
1. For 2018, VA Fashion Week will showcase featured designers on Sunday October 21 in Couture, Ready-to-Wear, and/or Swimwear. There are no age restrictions and
both individual designers and design duos will be accepted; those under 18 will need parental/guardian permission to apply. If designer applying is part of a design team,
both designers should be listed on application however, if accepted, only one entry fee will be required.
Designers are permitted to work with a seamstress. Emerging designers from outside the Hampton Roads
area are welcome to apply however each designer is responsible for his/her own lodging and transportation.
2. All designers must show a collection of a minimum of 10 complete looks. VA Fashion Week reserves the right to edit or pull looks if our stylist feel it is not appropriate. Each entry must be an original creation, not a direct copy from
a pattern or existing design. Use of recycled materials is encouraged but designs must be completely new and original, not
altered or “up-cycled” from previous items. All clothing items for each look must be original creations with the exception
being shoes, undergarments, or hosiery. Designer may include accessories with their looks if accessories were created by the designer or design team or if supplied by an acknowledged sponsor/contributor.
3. Models for the runway competition will be provided by VAFW and Splash Model Management as will hair and makeup and music. Female models are generally 5'8"-6' tall, sizes 0-14 (most are size 2-4, we will have 2-3 curves models available upon request). Male models are 5'11"-6'3", jacket 38-42, waist 29-33.
If any designer wants to bring their own models, they must audition and be approved by VAFW production team. As we plan to "live-stream" the runway shows and upload to YouTube, we prefer that the music used is either by emerging artists who have given signed permission OR music that is considered to be public domain.
This is to avoid copyright conflicts that can result in videos deleted, accounts suspended, and possibly fines.
4. All designers and models must sign a release form allowing photos and video images to be used by Splash Model Management, VA Fashion Week,
and all sponsoring organizations. This may include broadcast usage.
5. If any of these rules or regulations are not followed, Virginia Fashion Week has the right to refuse participation in the event and all
investments will be forfeited. If you are unsure about something, contact a VAFW representative who can give you more information.